Sunday, October 31, 2004

My amazing tour to Egypt on Oct 2004

This and subsequent posts are travel logs of my unforgettable trip to Egypt with my friends CY, Kim and HZ on 16th October 2004. When I went to Egypt, I did not bring a pen with me. I could not even write down the phone numbers of all the pretty girls that were in my group. I know... let me pause for a while and go bang my head on the wall.

Having said that, to my amazement, I could recount almost all of the things we have seen, and the stories we have heard. This was one week after our tour. These posts came out of memory with occasion help from CY, KC and HZ. I referred to Lonely Planet for the spelling of the name of the places and Gods.

Obviously, the credit goes to our local Egyptologist and tour guide, Mido, because it was his wonderful story telling skills that captured and fascinated me on the history of Ancient Egypt and allowed me to recount most of his story. If only my history teachers were as good as him :D

I am sure I have missed out many details. Some of these posts may not mean anything to you if you were not part of the tour group. I wish I could put some pictures here but I guess we have to do without them.

Hopefully, this log will remind us of the fun we had had in amazing Egypt.

Edit 9th Nov: A lot of people asked me why Egypt? Of all places in the world... why did we choose Egypt. I have always wonder why people ask this question. Isn't Egypt a place where everybody want to go? After all, it has so much history and culture. It has the only remaining Ancient Wonder of the World. So why not Egypt???

Anyway, our original plan was to go Nepal . We didn't have a lot of money to spend and we thought Nepal is a nice place - one get to see the Himalayas, maybe ride a llama or something. As the date draws nearer, there was fighting in Nepal.. some bombings. So we have to look for a backup plan and I suggested Egypt. Instead of seeing Himalayas, we see pyramids. Instead of riding llama, we ride camels. And Egypt is around the same price too - or so we thought.

When we went to the travel fair, all the travel companies told us that if you don't do the Nile cruise, you have not been to Egypt. But the cost is almost doubled. After days of discussion, we decided to bite the bullet and signed up for the Nile cruise .. and I did not regret one bit! Nile cruise (and the city of Luxor) is my favourite part of the trip!